Saturday, July 23, 2011

FAREWELL AMY

Today, we have lost a great artist.  I found out on my fb feed earlier this afternoon.  It hit me hard, and I find myself extremely saddened by the news, and I don't quite understand my own reaction.  After all she was just another drugged up Hollywood singer right?

I was first introduced to AMY WINEHOUSE by my co-worker Mike about 9 years ago, way before she hit North America.  We played her album repeatedly during our shifts. We commented on the richness of her voice, and the bitterness of her lyrics.  But that's all we knew, her voice and her song. I didn't even know what she looked like, I just knew that, with a voice like that, she was destined to be a musical great.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago.  I watched in amazed horror (and I admit a little judgmental disgust) as she performed stumbled around on a stage in a daze, blatantly displaying the drug addicted behavior she has become known famous for.  I then became sad.  Sad because it was clear that she was being swallowed up by her own addiction, and sad because no one was stopping the show.  It felt as if we were all sitting back to a live show of self destruction.

AMY you're gone way too soon.  And although the drama-hungry-media will undoubtedly put your illness on display, I will remember you fondly as the tiny British girl with the powerhouse voice.  And though you may not have realized it, your gift was inspiring.


REST IN PEACE

1 comment:

  1. I was never a Winehouse fan and I have to say that before reading this blog I also thought to myself "just another drugged up rockstar"
    You've shifted my perspective. It is tragic anytime we lose a gifted artist and I don't think I will ever see this type of situation the same.
    CDH

    ReplyDelete